2014 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ABALONE COOK
ERIN MCBRIDE, Booth #3 Green, "Asian Orange"
Winner of Celebrity Judge Overall Vote and the Popular Vote in Green Color Group
Comments: "Very Good, tender, great flavor." "Breaded abalone patty w/ citrus sauce, with orzo and orange - tender & tasty!"
The event was a sun-filled, fun-filled day. Record numbers attended and enjoyed the event. More information and photos to come. Thanks to the COOKS, the VOLUNTEERS, the DONORS, the EXHIBITORS, the PARTICIPANTS. Your support makes possible MAPA's mission to support education programs and park improvement projects in our local state parks.
2014 World Champion Abalone Cook Final Round Ranking (Celebrity Judge Vote):
- World Champion: Erin McBride, Asian Orange, Booth #3 Green
- 2nd Place: Charles and Mary Brandenburg, Abalone Tacos, Booth #5 Tan
- 3rd Place: Mark Scurria, Abalone Cake, Booth #1, Black
- 4th Place: Mike and Jessica Taaning, BBQ Bacon Abalone, Booth #19, Black
- 5th Place: Joe and Angela Thomas, Abalone Cocktail, Booth #9. Green
- 6th Place: Jessica Hitchock, Braised Abalone, Booth #17, Tan
2014 World Champion Abalone Cook (Popular Vote)
- Mark Scurria, Abalone Cake, Booth #1 Black
- Charles and Mary Brandenburg, Abalone Tacos, Booth #5 Tan
- Erin McBride, Asian Orange, Booth #3, Green
- David Edgecomb, Abalone Rockefeller, Booth #13, Black
- Phil Kaijankoski, Aloha Abalone, Booth #14, Tan
- Joe and Angela Thomas, Abalone Cocktail, Booth #9. Green
- Mike and Jessica Taaning, BBQ Bacon Abalone, Booth #19, Black
- Erich Dauenhauer, Thai Style Abalone Cakes, Booth #2, Tan
- Reiker & Silva, CnK Chinese Abalone Ball, Booth #15, Green
- Robert Palomar, Palomar's Treats, Booth #7, Black
- Sea Pal Cove, John and Alex Schnaubelt, Totally Fried, Booth #20, Tan
- Ken Snodgrass, Thai-balone Teaser, Booth #18, Green
BEST DECORATED BOOTH
Chris Landrum, Captain Best, Booth #4, Black
Attending the World Championship Abalone Cook-Off as a competing cook or a tasting judge is a fun and exciting way for people to help MAPA support our parks.
This major fundraiser is really two events in one: 1) Abalone cook-off competition, and 2) the Festival.
1) Abalone Cook-Off Competition: Competing cooks prepare their favorite recipes in hopes of winning a World Champion Trophy and/or Grand Prize. Judging tickets allow the purchaser to judge up to ten delicious recipes in the competition and vote for their favorite dish. "Up to 10" means that MAPA cannot guarantee 10 tastes because ocean conditions might affect divers' ability to find abalone. The abalone prepared in the cook-off is wild-caught, not farm-raised, making this a unique experience. Judging is based on taste, texture/tenderness and presentation.
2) Festival: Live music by the Bayou Swamis, beer from North Coast Brewing Company, food booth with clam chowder, silent auction, craft fair, raffle and wine tasting from Mendocino's finest wineries (Brutocao Cellars, Graziano Family of Wines, Handley Cellars, Yorkville Cellars, Frey Winery, Bink Cellars and McFadden Vineyard &Farm)
3) General Info: There are 2 way's to enjoy the Abalone Cook-Off. The first requires no tickets and is free to the public. The free entry does not include any tasting at all but allows the person or persons to enjoy the festival as a whole. The second way is to purchase "Judging Tickets" which allows the purchaser of the ticket to taste a variety of the cooks Abalone recipe's and to vote for the winner.
The cook-off is held in memory of Ken Tallman, and in honor of Sub-Surface Progression Dive Shop and the Tallman Family who donate the prizes.
Note: If you would like to be kept updated on MAPA's events such as the Abalone Cook-Off & Festival and when tickets open for purchase, Sign Up for MAPA's E-Newsletter.
2014 JUDGE TASTING TICKETS
June 1, 2014: MAPA members may start purchasing discounted Judge Tasting Tickets - (MAPA members = $55. Nonmember = $65.)
July 1, 2014: Non-members may start purchasing Judge Tasting Tickets - JOIN MAPA - CHECK BACK JULY 1 FOR TICKET BUTTON (MAPA members = $55. Nonmember = $65.)
THE BAYOU SWAMIS PLAY LIVE!
The Bayou Swamis have stolen the funky Zydeco dance beats from the swamps of Louisiana and planted firmly in the marshes of Humboldt County. For over ten years, they have featured a growing repertoire of Cajun two-steps and Zydeco stomps, and they also swamp up classic swing tunes, country standards and traditional '50s rockers. The Swamis excel at both acoustic and electrified performances. Their music continues to spread the swamp gospel and to keep fans dancing and clapping into the wee hours. The musicians: Randle Lundberg - button accordion, fiddle and vocals / David Bradley - acoustic and electric guitar and vocals / Jeff Landen ? guitar and vocals / Kate Koelmel - triangle, rub board and vocals / Marla Joy - bass guitar and vocals / Tim Gray - Drums and vocals.
Wine: Mendocino's finest wineries, like...
- Bink Wines
- Handley Cellars
- Yorkville Cellars
- Frey Vineyard
- Brutocao Cellars
- Graziano Family of Wines
- McFadden Vineyard and Farm
Food: Clam Chowder by Little River Inn, Albion River Inn, Carine's, Harvest Market
Silent Auction * Raffle * Craft Fair * T-Shirts
and LOTS OF FUN!!!
At the Festival portion of the event you may enjoy the music and purchase food (except not abalone), wine, beer, and participate in the other great happenings that are going on at the scenic South Noyo Harbor.
A Judging Ticket is required to be a judge in the abalone cook-off competition and to taste the delicious wild abalone recipes prepared by the competing cooks. Be sure to vote for your favorite!
Information about the cook-off competition: One ticket allows the purchaser to serve as a cook-off competition judge with up to 10 tastes of the competing cooks' recipes and to vote for the tastiest dish. Abalone is rich and 10 are sufficient. 'Up to 10' means that MAPA cannot guarantee 10 tastes because of ocean conditions that might affect the divers finding abalone or for personal emergencies. The abalone prepared in the cook-off is wild-caught, not farm-raised, making this a unique experience. The cook-off provides an opportunity to taste a variety of delicious recipes.
Each ticket will be assigned to one of three cook color-groups that will have up to 10 cook booths. By dividing the cooks into three groups, the cooks only have to provide 200 tastings instead of 600 (the maximum # of tickets sold).
Note: The cook teams dive for their own wild abalone and follow the Fish and Game rules when diving for and preparing the abalone. Wild abalone is illegal to sell or to buy in California, although farm-raised is not.
PETS: The Health Code dictates that no pets be brought onto the site because food is being prepared. Be careful about leaving them in the car.
ALCOHOL: The Sheriff's department states that no one can bring alcohol onto the event site. MAPA will have beer, wine and beverages available.
CANOPIES: Only MAPA canopies and registered cook canopies are allowed. You are welcome to bring in your own chairs.
The Festival is held in memory of Ken Tallman, and in honor of Sub-Surface Progression Dive Center and the Tallman Family.
The WORLD'S CHAMPIONSHIP ABALONE COOK-OFF & Festival is MAPA's biggest and most important fundraiser and we appreciate your support!!
Carolyne Cathey, Executive Director
2013 COOK-OFF AND FESTIVAL!
A beautiful day and scenic location surrounded the festivities at Noyo Harbor for the Abalone Cook-Off Competition & Festival.
A huge thank you to the COOKS, the COMMITTEE, the VOLUNTEERS, the WINERIES, the ATTENDEES, and the GENEROUS LOCAL DONORS. All of you contributed to the success of MAPA's major fundraiser that allows us to fund our mission of supporting parks, education programs in the parks, park improvement projects, and the operation of Standish-Hickey State Recreation Area to keep the park protected and open for public camping and recreation. MAPA expresses our gratitude to all of you for making this possible.
THE 2013 ABALONE COOK-OFF WINNERS
2O13 WORLD CHAMPION ABALONE COOK:
Booth 16, (318 out of 1738 total scored points for all FINAL ROUND contestants) Abalone Katsu
GRAND PRIZE - Red: JON KREBS, Booth 16 (73 out of 159 points Popular Vote) Abalone Katsu
GRAND PRIZE - Orange: CHRIS LANDRUM, Booth 2 (55 out of 158 points Popular Vote) Captain's Best
GRAND PRIZE - Blue: ERIN McBRIDE, Booth 3 (78 out of 159 points Popular Vote) Asian Orange
FIRST PLACE - Red: JEANINE PFEIFFER, Booth 10 (29 out of 159 Popular Vote) Abalone Ceviche
FIRST PLACE - Orange: JESSICA TAANING, Booth 20 (32 out of 158 Popular Vote) BBQ Abalone Bacon Rolls
FIRST PLACE - Blue: JESSIE MORRIS, Booth 21 (30 out of 159 Popular Votes) Abalone Sausage
SECOND PLACE - Red: SEA DOGS, TOM ESTRADA, RANDY FERRIS. Booth 1 (15 out of 159 Popular Votes) Abalone Corn Dogs
SECOND PLACE - Orange: JOEL HENDRICKS, CHRIS GLENN (Booth 17 (22 out of 158 Popular Votes) Abalone Egg Roll
SECOND PLACE TIE - Blue: KATHIE PALOMAR, Booth 6 (18 out of 159 Popular Votes) Palomar Treat
SECOND PLACE TIE - Blue: MELINDA SANDY, Booth 15 (18 out of 159 Popular Votes) Abalone Chowder
THIRD PLACE - Red: DAYLE LAWRENCE, Booth 13 (12 out of 159 Popular Votes) Abalone in a Chip
THIRD PLACE - Orange: DALTON ALBIN, Booth 8 (19 out of 158 Popular Votes) Ocean's Horseback
THIRD PLACE - Blue: DARIUS ROGERS, Booth 9 (11 out of 159 Popular Votes) Grilled Abalone
BEST DECORATED BOOTH -
SEA DOGS, Tom Estrada, Randy Ferris. Booth 1 (95 out of 375 Popular Votes). Sponsored by MENDO REALTY,